DataFlex is a database programming language created by Data Access Worldwide in the 1980's.
Since it's origins as a character mode product in the 1980's, DataFlex became a visual tool for developing Windows applications and from that developed further into the product we know today (Feb 2018, DF 2017/19.0) that fully supports Web services and Web application development. Because of the changing nature (and product names) of DataFlex over the years, on this wiki there are two main portal pages about DataFlex:
- Portal:DataFlex - mainly providing information about the product as it is now and previous visual versions, i.e., Visual DataFlex.
- Portal:DataFlex Character Mode - providing information about the Character Mode version (version v 3.2).
Dataflex started as a character based language, and evolved into the Windows based Visual Language Visual DataFlex which was initially a Windows only development environment, while character mode comes in both DOS and Unix flavours. Later, versions of Visual DataFlex and then DataFlex (the name change was implemented version DataFlex 2014 v18.0) became more popular than the character mode product, however, there are still many DataFlex 3.2 (and older) applications still doing their job today.
The DataFlex software product comprises a suite of tools:
- DataFlex Studio - the primary tool for developing your DataFlex Web and Windows applications
- Database Builder - for creating and modifying tables and moving them around between databases
- Database Explorer - allows you to look at and modify your data
- Web Application Server Administrator - allows you to configure your web applications and monitor sessions, processes and event logs
For a full description of DataFlex, it's features and benefits, please see [DataFlex] on the Data Access website.