DataFlex is a database programming language created by Data Access Worldwide in the 1980's. Using DataFlex you can develop business database applications with only one language, one studio and one framework. With its readable and easy to learn language, you can quickly develop DataFlex Web, mobile and Windows database applications.
Since it's origins as a character mode product in the 1980's, DataFlex became a visual tool for developing Windows applications and from that developed further into the product we know today that fully supports Web services and Web application development. Because of the changing nature (and product names) of DataFlex over the years, (see History, below), the following main portal pages are used to organise information on this wiki:
- Portal:Web Applications - providing information about using DataFlex to develop Web applications.
- Web Services - providing information about using DataFlex to develop Web services.
- Portal:Windows Applications - mainly providing information about developing Windows applications with Visual DataFlex.
- Portal:DataFlex Character Mode - providing information about the Character Mode version (version v 3.2).
Dataflex started as a character based language, and evolved into the Windows based Visual Language Visual DataFlex which was initially a Windows only development environment, while character mode comes in both DOS and Unix flavours. Over time, versions of Visual DataFlex and then DataFlex (the name change was implemented version DataFlex 2014 v18.0) became more popular than the character mode product, however, there are still many DataFlex 3.2 (and older) applications still doing their job today.
The introduction of the DataFlex Web Framework in Visual DataFlex 2012/17.1, provided DataFlex developers with a framework for Web application development, while still providing full support for Windows application development.
The DataFlex software product comprises a suite of tools, including:
- DataFlex Studio - the primary tool for developing your DataFlex Web and Windows applications
- Database Builder - for creating and modifying tables and moving them around between databases
For a full description of DataFlex, it's features and benefits, please see [DataFlex] on the Data Access website.