- 1 Introduction
- 2 DataFlex.Wiki
- 3 Where to go from here?
DataFlex.Wiki is a free resource for DataFlex developers to share and promote their knowledge, ideas, resources and projects with other developers.
This wiki complements the thriving DataFlex community, and aims to provide a site where all DataFlex tools, utilities and resources (new and old) both from Data Access (producers of DataFlex) and third party DataFlex software companies are brought together.
- Wikipedia - collaborating on a online encyclopedia
- Ward Cunningham - "The wiki way" - http://www.amazon.com/Wiki-Way-Quick-Collaboration-Web/dp/020171499X
- Mediawiki - running wikipedia - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
Other cool wikis
- http://www.wikipedia.org - an online encyclopedia
- http://c2.com/cgi/wiki - original wiki - inspiration from the masters
- http://ajaxpatterns.org - a list of good "design patterns" for the AJAX world
Collaboration in the DataFlex community
- The whitepapers (here Data Access do all the hard work)
- http://vdf-guidance.com (use twitter @vdfguidance to keep up with news!)
- SCANDUC (and other user conferences!)
- Blogs. They are sources for good information.
DataFlex.Wiki was created under another name: VdfWiki. VdfWiki started its life as a response to a debate started at Charlotte's web
VdfWiki is about sharing knowledge about Visual DataFlex in a fast way ('wiki' is 'fast' in hawaiaan).
Living in the DataFlex ecosystem
- Your contributions can be protected (We have administrators that will govern this)
- the newsgroups are still great! We can ask questions there
- the trainings from Data Access are still great! We can still save a lot of time learning from the data access guys.
- The whitepapers are still good! They are a good source of information
- www.vdf-guidance.com still has its use! vdf-guidance.com is good for sharing code and projects.
- The blogs are still great. People can still share news and articles there!
Organisation of the wiki
The frontpage and selected areas have been protected
Getting an account
everybody can register for an account.
To get an account you can just press "create account" in the upper right corner of vdfwiki.
If you have experience from contributing to http://wikipedia.org , then you should feel at home at VdfWiki (it is the same system - mediawiki).
Note that if you forgot your password , then the wiki can send your password to the email account you supplied when creating the account.
The administrators have setup the following guidelines VdfWiki_guidelines . Please respect these guidelines to make this a better wiki for everyone.
If you wrote something wrong on a page then you can click 'history' for the page. choose an earlier version that works - then save it. You will be notified that later edits will be lost.
First of all you can check all 'recent changes' by clicking the link in the navigation menu.
As the wike grows you can add pages to you watch list by clicking 'watch' page. Then you can monitor changes for that page in your 'watch list'.
Where to go from here?
- Create a user account .Put information about your self online :)
- Start contributing! Do you have something to share?
- Discuss what you want to see in the wiki at http://vdfwiki.com/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page
- Take a look at http://vdfwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Wantedpages
- Help categorize pages at http://vdfwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Uncategorizedpages